Sunday 6 June 2010

Gut instinct

I read a book a few years back by the title of BLINK.  Actually I'm lying, what I should say is I began to read it but then lost interest.  Not like me at all  I should add as my general rule is to ALWAYS finish every book I start (an ethos I adopted about fifteen years ago after reading one chapter of  Wuthering Heights and giving up because I disliked it, then picking it up two years later and realising it was one of the best books ever written.  Taught me that the saying "Never judge a book by its cover" should probably be extended to include "or it's opening chapter").  Anyway I digress.

As far as I can recall the essential message behind Blink was that we should always trust our initial instincts, or 'gut' feelings if you like, as evidence suggests this is very often the correct choice, or the one which will be correct for us.  The author of the book maintains that our brains are so advanced they assimilate vast amounts of information in just milliseconds rendering what we feel are our 'split' second decisions in to deeply thought out selections.   It was all very interesting  and I think I only began to get disillusioned when the author stated there was a professor in America who, on meeting a couple, could accurately state whether they would still be happy together in ten years or not.  Now you may call me a cynic but personally I am certain most of us could call that one accurately too, gut feeling or no gut feeling.  In fact I'd go so far as to say I wouldn't even have to meet each couple in order to accurately confirm that they would NOT be happy together in ten years time, and in fact should consider themselves lucky if they were even still talking by then.


So why mention the book....well it's just a protracted way of explaining why I am awake and laying here blogging at 2.25am - which is quite simply because I failed to trust my gut reaction when it came to Chris and his offer of drugs.  Yes we have finally reached a point in our marital disharmony where only some hard core A class will do.  Actually he was offering me Otrivine (a nasal decongestant)  because I have a stinking cold and can barely breathe.  Incidentally I should just add that this must be viewed as a most benevolent gesture considering  ninety percent of the time he is actually wishing I would stop (breathing that is).

My immediate thought,  that  any solution designed to burn through your mucus thus clearing your sinuses in a matter of seconds, albeit handy, simply cannot be healthy and should therefore be avoided, was definitely correct.   He persuaded me however and I, like Adam, fell under the weight of his suggestion and am now paying the price.  Yes my nose is clear and I can breathe, but the wracking pain in my head, the burning down the back of my throat and the exploding ear drums may well kill me yet.  Suddenly Chris's benevolence appears questionable.

So yes I am ill and should in fact at this hour be walking the streets of Telford on my Charity Midnight Hike.  I pulled out at the last minute on the basis that I was sick and needed to get a decent nights sleep.  Ahhhh the irony. I am fairly certain that the reason I am unwell is a combination of stress due to looming exams and stress due to lingering children....it is the end of the half term week and I am thoroughly kiddied out.  Not only did I have my four plus my friend's daughter, who stayed with us whilst her mum and dad went to Egypt (why didn't I think of that?) but Danny also dragged in a couple of strays for various sleepovers so it really was bedlam.   Still, I'm glad that they all feel comfortable here...comfortable enough to trash the house, eat all my food and leave in the morning without a hint of a thank you for having me.  Beggars.

Diet wise it has been a poor state of affairs.  Dieting during half term with picnics in the park, visits to the Cinema and trips to Alton Towers is never going to happen though.  However I'm not sure what my excuse is for today when there have been no outings and I have still managed to down a Cornetto, a Double Decker and two pieces of chocolate cake.  

Tragic isn't it that no matter how ill I feel it never seems to kill my appetite for junk.  

x

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I remember that book... It was pretty thought provoking in a way that it made you think (or not) to disregard any thought provocation to make any decisions. Ahem, just do it, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Computers low-level hum irritates the eardrums and thickens fluids as the body tries to block it out...resulting in sinus problems and leaving us prone to infection. More fluid, less computer is required.
    Erase the word " dieting" from your vocabulary. Try the face-tapping techniques of Mr. McKenna maybe ? Substitute " I will eat healthy food and occasionally treat myself to chocolate etc.".
    Good idea to give any book a chance to prove itself ( by reading more than first few pages) but never feel obliged to read what is patently rubbish. Reading should be enjoyable, not an ordeal. Lots of books ARE pretty awful. Same as TV programmes. Remember The Emperor's New Clothes !

    ReplyDelete